Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Bloom and Grow

Ancona was a disaster.  I didn't end up getting my Permesso last week.  The documents were successfully overnighted down to me (by DHL, Gentry!  They're everywhere!) but the Questura was closed and wouldn't let me pull any strings.  I got really angry, but Anziano Carter and I talked it out and I called the office in Milano and everything turned out okay.  We went home empty handed, and just yesterday we took a long train down to finally grab my Permesso and take a long train home.  Oh, well.  Everything happens for a reason, even if we don't get to see it now.

I sure love it here in Reggio Emilia.  The weather has been wonderful.  This time last year I was dying of heat in Ferrara.  Now there's an almost constant cloud cover and frequent sprinkles of rain that keeps it all cool.  The Italians are amazed.  They say they haven't seen a summer this cool for decades.  I'm so grateful, I can't stand the heat.

My sister Audrey is now the Sister Burton!  Or Hermana Burton, I guess.  That's so exciting.  I look forward to watch her bloom and grow as a missionary over the next year and a half.  I know she will be a great tool in the Lord's hands if she is obedient and chooses to be happy.  It's taken me a whole year and a half to get that into my head, so let's hope Audrey learns faster.  She's always been smart.


Not sure what else to say this week.  It's a good week, though.  Getting to the end of the transfer.  I'm thinking a lot about how fast things go, how little time we have when all's said and done.  I remember getting on the plane in Salt Lake City and hearing two workers at the airport ask each other: "Wouldn't it be nice to go back to when two years seemed like a long time?"

Two years is a long time, but time itself goes really fast.  It's full of all sorts of experiences: good and bad, light and dark, funny and sad, bitter and sweet.  But in the end, it only matters that you experienced it.  We move every moment.  Make sure you're moving forward.

I love you and I'm glad things seem to be going well for everyone in my immediate circle.  If there are any readers whose lives aren't going so great right now, believe me that I understand.  I was there just about a month ago, maybe a bit more.  For a long time, too.  But remember that there are always little things that bring you joy, even if life seems really hard and lonely.  Find all the simple things that make you smile -- songs or friends or your own talents -- and milk them for every drop of happiness they've got.

Hmm... every drop of happiness.  Sounds like a new song title to me!
Anziano Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment