Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Eterno is my Favorite Word

Well, I can't say I'm a huge fan of football... but I am a huge fan of light.  I'm basing almost everything I do and think about on the symbols I realize God has presented us in Light and Seeds.  I'm guessing Water and Earth are going to because important to me as well, but maybe that'll take a trip to Japan or something.

For now, I'm grateful for the light I have already received from God, especially that bit that taught me "there is as much to learn as the eternities will allow".  And that's a beautiful concept to me, because I have come to believe that progress IS happiness.

We had lots of rain this week.  So much that something was flooded in Parma and thousands of phones in this section of Italy stopped working for two days.  It's amazing how much society has centered itself around our feeble technology.  It seemed like half of life essentially shut down.  And though it was a little nervewracking not to be able to contact the District or our investigators for two days, there was something very... relaxing about not having instead communication access.  I can't imagine how people lived in the 1800s... or even in the 1980s!

So this week was marked with lots of personal study and reading (I've developed such a love for reading out here), lots of rain and AnzBurtonish weather (which makes me so happy while others seem to get down), fun English classes (we made them do Who's Line Is It, Anyway? type improv, ha!), and a trip to Modena for an interview with President.  I got lots of mail from loved ones that I'll reply to throughout October.

I'll finish off with a couple of great quotes I read and wrote down this week:

"Though argument does not create conviction, the lack of it destroys belief."
- Austin Farrer

"Christ says, 'Give me all.  I don't want so much of your time and so much of your money and so much of your work: I want You.  I have not come to torment your natural self, but to kill it....'"
- C. S. Lewis

"...religion and morality are indispensable supports.  In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens."
- George Washington

"In this probation, we have evil to contend with, and we must overcome it in ourselves, or we never shall overcome it anywhere else."
- Brigham Young

Fill your spheres with light, brothers and sisters, and God will trust you with a bigger sphere.  And that cycle with continue forever.  Eterno is my favorite word.

Love,
Anziano Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment